After transitioning to a plant- based diet, many people put away their grills thinking they will never use them again. The good news is that you can dust off your grill and start to make amazing plant-based creations that have a very unique flavor. The sky’s the limit when it comes to grilling plant-based foods. Here are a few of my favorite ways to use my grill:
- Make veggie kabobs using cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, and peppers and then baste with your favorite barbeque sauce before removing from the grill
- Marinate portobello mushrooms in soy sauce, garlic and rosemary for 30-60 minutes and then grill – they are wonderful on a bun with lettuce, tomato and onion
- Grill slices of eggplant (cut about ½” thick) and sprinkle with garlic powder and salt. After they’re browned, brush with barbeque sauce and serve as a side dish or on a bed of rice as a main course
- My Favorite – grill slices of cauliflower steaks (cut about ¾” thick) until browned and then brush with a mixture of your favorite dijon mustard, garlic, and salt before removing from the grill
- Grill fruit – some of our favorites are pineapple slices with lime zest and peach halves. Make sure to grill fruit just until tender and warm – this brings out the naturally sweet flavor of the fruit
- Grill romaine lettuce that you have cut in half lengthwise – cut side down. After the lettuce has a slight char, brush with your favorite balsamic dressing.
The key is to think about what you used to like to make on the grill and then just substitute in your favorite vegetables and fruit!