Homemade tortillas are so simple and better than anything you can buy. These fresh-made corn tortillas are soft, pliable, and will fold up beautifully in your favorite tacos or enchiladas.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 5-10 minutes
Serves: 8-10 taco shells
- medium bowl
- non stick griddle
- mixing spoons
- Arepas meal starter pouch
- 2 1/4 cups warm water
- Place the warm water in a medium bowl and slowly add the Arepas meal starter pouch contents stirring continuously. Mix well and combine with hands. The dough will have the consistency of play-dough. Cover and allow the dough to rest for 10 minutes.
- Portion into 8-10 pieces. Form into balls.
- Place the dough balls between 2 pieces of parchment paper and press with a plate, cutting board, or a tortilla press.
- Cook on a non-stick griddle until both sides are bubbly and golden brown. Serve with your favorite taco fillings.
- Optional: For hard taco shells, place the cooked tacos in a 375°F oven using a muffin pan. Turn the muffin tin upside down and place the shells so they are resting between each cup. Bake for 5 minutes or until crispy.