Prep time 30 minutes
Cook time 40 minutes
Yield 6-8 servings
- One Cornbread recipe, (about 6 cups cubed toasted cornbread)
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth (Reduce to 1 cup if you prefer a drier dressing.)
- 1 ½ cups cashew cream (1 cup water + ½ cup raw cashews blended)
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 1 large white or yellow onion, diced
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- ½ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon toasted fennel seeds
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup fresh cranberries
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
🥄 Kitchen Tools
- Large baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Large skillet
- 9 x 12 inch Baking dish
- High Speed Blender
- Small and large mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Chef knife
- Cutting board
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9 x 12 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- Bake the cornbread according to the recipe. Let the bread cool and cut into 1-inch cubes. (I usually make the bread a day or two ahead so it dries out.)
- In a 350°F oven, arrange the cornbread chunks in a single layer. Toast in the oven for about 10-15 minutes or until golden. (You can skip this step when the cornbread is a day or 2 old and very dried out.)
- In a high speed blender, blend the cashews and water until smooth and creamy to create a cashew cream sauce. In a small bowl, whisk together the vegetable broth, cashew cream, and flax meal. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, sauté the onions and celery over medium-high heat using vegetable broth or water to deglaze the pan and prevent sticking. Cook until the onions are translucent. Stir in the walnuts (or pecans), thyme, sage, rosemary, parsley, garlic, fennel seeds, red pepper flakes, and cranberries and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes.
- Place the toasted cornbread and sautéed vegetables into a large bowl along with salt and pepper and gently combine. Pour the vegetable broth, cashew cream, and flax meal over the cornbread mixture and toss gently.
- Spread the stuffing into the prepared baking dish, cover with aluminum foil, and bake at 375°F for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking for another 15 minutes, or until golden.