New England Chowder
This creamy chowder has the traditional flavor of a clam chowder. Sushi nori sheets provide a from-the-sea flavor and mushrooms are used in place of clams.
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 Cheese Starter Pack
- 1 onion, diced (or 2 leeks diced)
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, diced (any variety)
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups unsweetened soy or almond milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons dulse flakes or 2 nori sheets cut into small pieces
- In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, sauté the onions, celery, and carrots in a small amount of water until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of water and the potatoes to the soup pot with the vegetables and bring them to a boil. Turn down the heat to medium and cook the potatoes until tender. Do not drain.
- Place the Cheese Starter Pack, milk, and lemon juice into a high-speed blender and blend for 1-2 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Add the cheese mixture, smoked paprika, and dulse flakes/cut nori sheets to the vegetables and simmer over low-medium heat until the flavors are well blended and the consistency is creamy, stirring frequently. Serve warm.