Here is a list of the most frequently asked questions from our visitors and customers. If you have a question that is not answered here, please feel free to contact us.
1) We used low levels of salt in our recipes so that you could add a little salt according to your preference. Some of you may need no more salt, but if you are transitioning to this diet and are used to a higher level of salt, you can sprinkle some on your meal after it has been heated. We encourage you over time to reduce your salt intake, but as you transition to a healthy diet, it is important that the food satisfies your current taste preferences.
2) Make sure you stir your meal when reheating, thoroughly combining the sauces with the pasta, rice, or couscous. If you use a microwave, heat the meal for five minutes, stir the ingredients together well, then heat for another minute or two. This will spread the flavors into the starch base, and also help to incorporate the excess water in the sauce. A few of the meals may seem a little wet, but remember that this is mostly because we are not adding oil to the sauces. Just make sure you follow this instruction to mix your starch and sauce bases well.
3) To maximize the quality of the food, we recommend reheating your meals with the Hot Logic induction-warming tray. This induction unit will heat your food to a safe temperature, and hold it there until you choose to eat. It takes 1.5 to 2 hours to thoroughly warm, but all you have to do is place the meal in the tray, plug it in, then walk away.
4) After you have heated your meal, serve it on a plate, or, if it is a wetter meal, in a bowl. The food will look appetizing, and as much as we think our tastes are not visual, they are indeed partly influenced by visual presentation. Also, you will notice how large the servings are when you use a plate or bowl.
5) We provide generous portions, so don’t feel like you need to eat the whole meal! If you have some left over, put it in your fridge for a snack later.
6) Take a snack bag with you to work every day with a few pieces of fruit and cut veggies, and keep your water bottle on your desk so you can stay hydrated.
You can view a complete description of the meals, including a list of ingredients and the nutrition facts on the label, which is also viewable as an image on each product page in our online store.
We have some meals that do not have nuts or soy, but we do not currently sell these meals individually. You can view a complete list of ingredients and the nutrition facts on the label, which is also viewable as an image on each product page in our online store.
We currently have three meals that are gluten-free and plan to develop more:
Our tofu is non-GMO, but some other ingredients are not. Launching a 10-entree product line is exceedingly difficult. We looked into launching an organic version of the line, but we discovered that this approach would have delayed our launch by several months. Most importantly, sourcing organic ingredients would have significantly increased our costs, making our food unaffordable for a wide section of the population.
Dr. T. Colin Campbell makes the argument that it is most important that we help people transition to a plant-based diet first, and that we make the organic issue secondary to this first important step. When people go to a whole food, plant-based diet, they get most of the health benefits of this diet, whether it is organic or not.
Having said this, we believe in and support organic farming. Eating chemical-free, GMO-free food is a good idea on so many levels, not just for health reasons, but also for environmental reasons. We see GMO technology as an assault against Nature. So we will be working on creating an organic line, and will complete this as resources permit. We are a small organization with limited resources, doing the best we can.
In summary, we have made a strategic decision to produce this initial line as affordably as possible, so that we can expose as many people as possible to the healing powers of a plant-based diet. We chose this approach, rather than focusing first on a far smaller group of more affluent consumers. We believe this was the most compassionate approach.
We do not use refined carbs in our recipes, only complex carbs like brown rice and whole wheat. These kinds of foods are essential to your health, and also provide a sense of satiety. This may be the single most misunderstand point in nutrition, one that has largely been promoted by special interests pushing an animal-based diet, who know that confusion over carbs will push people away from a plant-based diet.
Here is a statement from Dr. T. Colin Campbell on this issue:
Complex carbohydrates as found in whole, plant-based foods are healthy parts of plants. Refined carbohydrates are stripped of their bran layer (generally full of minerals, vitamins, dietary fiber, and protein) and, as a consequence, are much less healthy.
Generally speaking, diabetics and obese individuals are generally more susceptible to the difficulties posed by refined carbohydrates, and thus are usually advised to avoid them when possible.
Opinions about complex carbohydrates and diabetes, however, must consider the fact that a diet of whole, plant-based foods is different in total fat (amount and kind), protein (amount and kind), minerals, vitamins, and dietary fiber, of course. Those who equate these carbohydrates mostly ignore these other nutrients, many of which also affect risk of diabetes and related diseases. Human studies indisputably show that complex carbohydrate consumption (as part of a total diet)—when considered either over time or across different population group—is associated with lower, not higher, incidence of diabetes, an effect that is consistent with the role that all nutrients play in disease occurrence.
While we use moderate amounts of salt and sugar, we do not exclude these ingredients because we feel it is important to create flavors that will help people make the transition to a plant-based diet and keep them there. According to our science advisor, Dr. T. Colin Campbell, the benefits of a whole food, plant-based diet far outweigh any concerns about low levels of salt and sugar intake.
We currently do not sell the meals individually, but you can select a Build Your Own 20 Pack and choose which meals you want.
The meals are flash frozen, which means bringing the temperature of the meal from ambient at the time it is trayed to fully frozen in a very short period of time. Freezing protects the texture and taste of the ingredients and allows the meals to be enjoyed far from the place where they were prepared. The shelf life for the meals is one year when stored in a freezer.
To protect the quality of our product, we require meals to be delivered within two days of leaving our warehouses. Also, shipping costs more to Alaska and Hawaii, so we are trying to find ways to reduce this cost right now, including looking for local distribution options. We appreciate your patience and will be updating our website shortly with pricing specifically for Alaska and Hawaii.
Canadian law has certain requirements for distribution and labeling, which we are currently working on. Please make sure to sign up for our newsletter to receive updates on this.
There are several reasons why we chose to produce our meals in Canada instead of the U.S.:
1. The cost of shipping is actually a very small part of the pricing. In addition, north/south routes are very well established so shipping out of Canada is not that expensive.
2. The scale of Canadian processors is generally smaller, which allows us to produce in reasonable quantities and keep inventories fresh and rotating.
3. Canada is a very large processor of beans and pulses, so those commodities (including root vegetables) are close at hand and economically attractive.
You will receive your shipment up to 7 to 10 business days from the time you place your order on our website.
Each tray measures 6.75 inches (width) by 8.75 inches (length) x 1.75 inches (height). So 20 meals will require 1.2 cubic feet of freezer space. This is roughly a quarter to a third of a standard residential freezer.
The meals can be microwaved in five to seven minutes, depending on your microwave. However, the Hot Logic Mini Warming Tray uses a low-temperature, slow induction heat technology that allows your food to heat to the perfect temperature, and then holds it for hours without loss of flavor or drying out. This tray is included with the Jumpstart Kit, but it can also be ordered separately in our store. We recommend using the warming tray for optimal results since it is portable (perfect for the office) and warms up the meals gradually and evenly, providing an "oven-fresh" experience.
You may return most new, unopened merchandise (Frozen meals not included) within 30 days of delivery for a full refund. We'll also pay the return shipping costs if the return is a result of our error (you received an incorrect or defective item, etc.).
You should expect to receive your refund within four weeks of giving your package to the return shipper, however, in many cases you will receive a refund more quickly. This time period includes the transit time for us to receive your return from the shipper (5 to 10 business days), the time it takes us to process your return once we receive it (3 to 5 business days), and the time it takes your bank to process our refund request (5 to 10 business days).
If you need to return an item, please Contact Us with your order number and details about the product you would like to return. We will respond quickly with instructions on how to return items from your order.
We can ship to virtually any address in the world. Note that there are restrictions on some products, and some products cannot be shipped to international destinations.
When you place an order, we will estimate shipping and delivery dates for you based on the availability of your items and the shipping options you choose. Depending on the shipping provider you choose, shipping date estimates may appear on the shipping quotes page.
Please also note that the shipping rates for many items we sell are weight-based. The weight of any such item can be found on its detail page. To reflect the policies of the shipping companies we use, all weights will be rounded up to the next full pound.
We have a mobile app for iOS Apple devices, which allows you to take advantage of our do it yourself recipe library and meal plan builder to get started with a Plant-Based lifestyle. You can order our frozen meals or dry starter packs and have them delivered to your doorstep right from the app. To access, click HERE.
love our recipes?
BUY OUR COOKBOOK
The PlantPure Nation Cookbook brings our powerful, science-based approach to nutrition from the big screen to your kitchen with some of the same mouthwatering recipes that kick-started the film, promoting the health benefits of a whole food, plant-based diet.