Southern Style Chik’n and Dumplings
This rich and creamy dish delivers all the heart-warming flavors and aroma of country home-style cooking and goes on the table quickly.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 Gravy Starter Pack
- 4 ounces Butler Soy Curls, dried
- 5 large (7-8 inch) whole grain tortillas, cut into strips, 1 inch wide and 3-4 inches long
- 16-ounce bag frozen soup or mixed vegetables (make sure potatoes are included, along with other veggies like carrots, tomatoes, corn, green beans, onions, peas, and celery)
- 2½ cups water
- 2½ cups unsweetened plant-based milk
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste, then pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika for garnishing
- Place the soy curls in a bowl and cover with water for 8-10 minutes. While the soy curls are soaking in the water, slice the whole-grain tortillas into 1 inch wide by 3-4 inches long strips. Set aside.
- To a large soup pot, add the contents of the Gravy Starter Pack, water, and milk, and stir to dissolve the lumps.
- Place the frozen vegetables into the pot and cook over medium-high heat until bubbly and thickened, stirring frequently.
- Drain the soy curls and add them to the vegetable mixture. Cook over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes until mixture is hot and bubbly.
- Drop the tortilla strips into the bubbly soup mixture, one at a time, gently pushing them down to the bottom. Resist the urge to over stir as they are fragile and will fall apart if stirred too much. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Top with smoked paprika and black pepper.