Key Lime Avocado Pie
This refreshingly sweet and tart tropical dessert wins over everyone's taste buds, and it's so easy to make! It has no cream, no eggs, no butter, and no processed graham crackers-just a creamy tart and sweet lime pudding sitting atop a walnut and oat crust. Fresh avocados with a splash of coconut milk are the secret to this much-loved update to the traditional recipe.
Prep time: 30 minutes, plus 1-2 hours freezing time
- 1 cup pitted dates, soaked
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup rolled oats (not quick oats)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 avocados pitted and peeled
- Grated zest of 2 limes (preferably key limes)
- 1/2 cup lime juice (preferably from key limes)
- 1/4 cup canned full-fat coconut milk
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
- 2-3 tablespoons u sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 lime (preferably a key lime), thinly sliced
- Pulse all the crust ingredients in a food processor until a coarse meal forms and starts to come together. Press the crust mixture into a 9-inch tart pan or pie plate
- Combine all the filling ingredients in a high powered blender and blend until smooth and creamy. The filling should have a pudding-like texture
- Pour the filling into the crust and spread evenly. Place the pie in the freezer for 1-2 hours or until firm, then decorate with the coconut flakes and lime slices. Slice and serve cold. Store the pie in the freezer or refrigerator.
- You can also pour the filling mixture into ice pop molds to create refreshing key lime ice pops.