Lower risk of
About 1 in 3 deaths in the United States results from heart disease, stroke, or other preventable cardiovascular conditions.
In Dr. Dean Ornish’s well known Lifestyle Heart Trial, patients following a low-fat vegetarian diet had the following results after one year:
- Chest pain began to disappear within weeks of starting the program.
- Average LDL (bad cholesterol) dropped from 152 mg/dL to 95 mg/dL
- 82% of patients angiograms showed arteries reopening
Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn studied 23 Cleveland Clinic patients who had severe coronary artery disease (combined 49 cardiac events). The 17 patients following a plant-based diet for the duration of the study had the following results:
- Angiograms showed opening of coronary arteries.
- All reduced their total cholesterol to lower than 150 mg/dL
- No additional cardiac events