Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 45-50 minutes
Yield 6-8 servings
- 2 tablespoons flax meal + 6 tablespoons water (flax egg)
- 1 ½ cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne red pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup vegan chocolate chips (set aside ¼ cup for the top of the bread)
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup nondairy milk
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 ½ cups shredded zucchini
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine the flax meal and water, set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, cayenne red pepper, baking soda, baking powder, chocolate chips, and salt until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the applesauce, milk, balsamic vinegar, vanilla, coconut sugar, and zucchini.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients along with the flax meal and water mixture. Stir until just combined, don’t over mix as this will create a tough bread. Pour the batter into a parchment lined bread pan and sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips on the top of the batter. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean. Remove the bread from the pan and allow the loaf to cool for 15-20 minutes before slicing.