- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 cups finely ground cornmeal (be sure to use finely ground)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups plant-based milk
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a 9 x 9 inch square pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the flax meal with the warm water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the milk applesauce, maple syrup and flax mixture to the large bowl.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Serve warm.
✏️Tips & Hints
- I like to add finely diced jalapeños and fresh corn to this recipe for a heartier, spicer version.