- 1 tablespoon flax meal or chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the flax meal and water. Set aside for 8 to 10 minutes to thicken.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking power, baking soda, salt, and orange zest.
- In a separate bowl, combine the orange juice, applesauce, maple syrup, vanilla, and thickened flax mixture. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Do not over mix. Gently fold in the cranberries and walnuts.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared pan. Bake until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, 60-70 minutes. Remove the bread from the pan and place it on a cooking rack. Let it cool for 14-20 minutes before slicing.
✏️ Tips & Hints
- You can also make muffins using this recipe. Simply divide the batter evenly between 12 muffin cups and bake for 15-18 minutes or until they are completely golden on top and a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.