- 1 1/2 cups frozen hash browns (or mashed potatoes)
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small poblano pepper, seeded and diced small
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth for sautéing
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons low sodium tamari sauce
- One 14-ounce block extra-firm tofu, drained and crumbled
- 6 whole wheat tortillas
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
Place the frozen hash browns on the prepared baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until tender and warm but not crispy. Remove hash browns from the oven, keeping the oven heated, and line the baking sheet with new parchment paper.
In a skillet over medium-high heat, saute´ the onion, garlic, poblano pepper, and bell pepper in vegetable broth until tender.
Mix the dry seasonings until well combined. Stir in the tamari sauce and crumbled tofu. Continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes over low heat.
In each tortilla, add 1/2 cup of tofu scramble filling and 1/4 cup of cooked hash browns or mashed potatoes. (Optional: You can also use 1 tablespoon of a plant-based vegan cheese for additional creaminess.)
Roll the tortilla into a closed burrito, place on the prepared baking sheet seam-side down, and bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Serve hot.
✏️ Tips & Hints
- You can use whatever vegetables are in season. I have made these burritos with spinach, kale, mushrooms, and tomatoes. They are so customizable that you will find yourself not using a recipe next time.