This recipe happened because of a frantic evening without much in the fridge and a limited amount of time. I had some marinara sauce, pasta, a few veggies, and pantry spices, so after careful consideration, the Instant Pot seemed like the perfect solution. The result was an amazing rich creamy pasta dish loaded with hearty veggies. We felt like we had ordered pasta from a fancy Italian restaurant! Cooking the pasta with the marinara sauce gives this dish a unique creaminess that you simply cannot capture on the stovetop. Instant Pot® does it again!
Prep time 10-15 minutes
Cook time 7 minutes
Yield 4 servings
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and small diced
- 2 small zucchini, large diced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 1/2 cup peas
- ½ cup fresh basil
- 16 ounces brown rice pasta (uncooked)
- 24 oz jar marinara sauce
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4-6 ounces chopped spinach or kale
- Using the sauté feature on the Instant Pot, sauté the onions, peppers, and jalapenos on high heat until tender. Turn off the heat and add the garlic and zucchini.
- Place the remaining ingredients, except the spinach and/or kale, into the instant Pot and stir briefly. Be sure to use the exact liquid measurements since your pasta results depend greatly on the liquid amounts. Close the pressure valve to sealing and set the pressure cooker to “manual” for 7 minutes at high pressure. When the Instant Pot beeps, quick release the pressure valve. When the pressure is finished releasing, open the pot and add the spinach or preferred greens. Allow to cool and serve.