I love crispy fries and we tend to prepare these several times during the week. The secret is choosing russet potatoes because they create that crispy outside texture and a fluffy soft middle. The extra high oven temperature also helps create a beautiful crispy crust while sealing in the moisture. I don’t have an air fryer, but a good convection oven will do the trick for these perfect crispy fries!
Prep time 10 minutes
Cook time 20-25 minutes
Yield 2-4 servings
- 2-3 large russet potatoes, sliced into wedges
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°. Do not place the potatoes into the oven until the oven temperature has been reached.
- Wash and cut each potato into 8 equal wedges. You can choose any style cut you prefer, but the thicker the cut, the longer the baking time.
- Place the potatoes into very cold water for at least 30 minutes, rinse, and pat dry. This will help draw out moisture and starch. You can definitely skip this step but you might get puffy bubbly fries which some people actually prefer.
- Place the potatoes into a zip lock baggie with the remaining ingredients and shake to thoroughly coat. You can be creative with this step, adding any spice blend you prefer.
- Evenly spread the potatoes onto a silicone mat or parchment lined baking sheet being careful not to overlap the potatoes. If you overlap the fries, they will steam and become moist, not achieving a crisp crunchy texture. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.