- Two 15-ounce cans black beans (3 cups), rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 3/4 cup dry oats
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice (or cooked quinoa)
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 3/4 cup corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle Seasoning Blend or Mexican Spice Blend
- 3 tablespoons salsa or diced tomatoes
- 1 lime juiced and zested (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Mash the beans coarsely with a fork or potato masher in a mixing bowl. You don't want to puree the beans, so leave some half chunks remaining.
- In a small bowl, soak the flax meal in the water and let sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the flax meal mixture and the remaining ingredients to the mashed beans. Mix everything together with a fork until you have a uniform consistency. This will take a minute or two.
- Form the bean mixture into the burger sizes that you like. It's helpful to have wet hands when forming the patties. You should get 6-8 burgers.
- Place the patties on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until browned.
✏️ Tips & Hints
- I like to incorporate other veggies such as spinach, kale, or carrots. The key is to process the veggies into fine shreds so they combine evenly into the burgers.