- One 14-ounce block extra-firm tofu, drained
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8-10 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 10 ounces fresh spinach
- Two (24-ounce) jars marinara sauce (low sodium, low fat)
- 12 Lasagna Noodles, uncooked (brown rice or whole wheat)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- For the Vegan Ricotta Cheese, place all the ingredients into a food processor. Blend continuously until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- In a 9 x 13 in casserole dish, assemble your lasagna in this order: 1/2 cup marinara sauce, 4 noodles, half of the ricotta, half of the spinach and mushrooms, 1 3/4 cup marinara sauce, 4 noodles, remaining ricotta, remaining spinach and mushrooms, 1 3/4 cup marinara sauce, 4 noodles, and remaining marinara sauce. (Lasagna noodles are layered uncooked.)
- Bake for 60-80 minutes. Brown rice pasta will cook faster than whole wheat pasta.
- Let stand for 20-30 minutes before serving.
✏️Tips & Hints
- I make this lasagna with uncooked lasagna noodles, which shortens the prep time. I have used many types of lasagna noodles, but our favorite is the brown rice version.
- Instead of mushrooms, I often use zucchini and roasted red peppers in the vegetable filling.
- It is also fun to make vegan ricotta a pesto style by blending fresh basil into the vegan ricotta.
- This dish is even better the next day because the flavors are more pronounced and the texture is firmer.