Strawberry Shortcake (Gluten free)
Fresh summer strawberries make this a simple yet elegant dessert. The homemade drop biscuits are slightly sweet, moist, and crumbly, which pairs perfectly with sweet summer strawberries. Top it off with light and fluffy aquafaba "cool whip" cream for pure summertime bliss!
Yields: 6 servings Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 6-7 cups quartered strawberries
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- ½ cup white rice flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbs pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup aquafaba (the liquid from one 15-ounce can salt-free chickpeas)
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Slice the strawberries and sprinkle with coconut sugar. Refrigerate and set aside, allowing the berries to release their juices.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the almond flour, oat flour, rice flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until thoroughly combined. In a separate bowl, combine the coconut milk, applesauce, maple syrup, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and combine the dough until a thick batter forms. The batter should have the consistency of cookie dough. Using a large cookie scoop, drop the batter into 6 equal mounds onto the prepared baking. Bake for 13-15 minutes and allow to cool.
- Place the aquafaba (chickpea liquid), maple syrup, and vanilla in a medium-sized bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until the mixture becomes foamy. Add the cream of tartar (which will help hold its shape) and continue beating until stiff peaks form, about 5-7 minutes.
- Split each shortcake in half and spoon strawberries onto each shortcake bottom and top with whip cream and the shortcake top. Spoon more strawberries and whip cream over the top, and serve.
Tips & Hints
- If you have leftover aquafaba whip cream, store it in the refrigerator. It will lose it's fluffiness, but you can easily rewhip it when you're ready for more.