- 4 large carrots
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons low sodium tamari sauce
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- ¼ teaspoon liquid smoke
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 whole-grain hot dog buns, toasted if desired
- Diced onions
- Peel the carrots, trim the ends, and cut them to the length of your hot dog buns.
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the carrots and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, until tender but not mushy. Drain the carrots in a colander and put them under cold running water. This shocks them and prevents them from getting any softer.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, water, tamari, molasses, liquid smoke, garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper. Transfer the marinade to the large zip-top bag and add the cooked carrots. Toss gently to coat. Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the carrots from the marinade and place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 14 to 20 minutes, until heated through and slightly browned.
- Serve the carrots in the hot dog buns with your choice of toppings.