Homemade Hand-Twisted Soft Pretzels
Soft pretzels are so irresistible and fun to eat and create. The baking soda bath and toppings give these pretzels their traditional inspiring flavor that makes them such a hit in our house! They’re soft and chewy on the inside and golden brown on the outside. Kids and adults love to roll the dough and form their own pretzels or unique shapes. Top them with anything you love and now you have a great snack or appetizer!
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 9 x 9 inch square baking pan
- Parchment Paper
- Large saucepan or soup pot
- Slotted Spoon & Spatulas
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 ¾ cup lukewarm warm water
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cup white whole wheat flour (or whole wheat flour) plus more for kneading
- 1 ½ teaspoon sea salt
Baking Soda Bath:
- ¼ cup baking soda
- 7 cups water
- Everything Bagel Seasoning or Sea Salt
- Sesame Seeds
- In a large bowl, combine the the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Let stand until frothy.
- Add the flour and salt and stir until a soft dough begins to form. Knead for 6-8 minutes, until smooth. Place the dough into a clean bowl and cover with a damp towel. Set aside in a warm place to rise, until the dough doubles in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the 7 cups of water to a rolling boil. Add the baking soda and allow it to foam.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, punch down the dough and remove from the bowl. Cut into 10 even pieces. Roll each dough piece into a 22-24" rope. To make the pretzel shape, make a U-shape, then twist and bring the ends down to create the classic pretzel shape. Press lightly to seal the ends. Get creative and make your own shapes!
- Drop one pretzel at a time into the boiling water and boil for 30 seconds. Remove the pretzel using a slotted spoon and transfer the pretzel to the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with sea salt or Everything Bagel Seasoning. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with your favorite sauce such as Spicy Nacho Sauce, Marinara, or mustard.