Prep time 20 minutes
Cook time 30 minutes
Yield 6-8 servings
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 cup water
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 leeks, washed well and white and green parts cut small
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 10 ounces button mushrooms, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 quarts low-sodium vegetable stock
- 3 large Yukon gold potatoes, medium diced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (or oat flour)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 sushi nori sheets, torn into small pieces (or 1 1/2 tablespoons dulse flakes)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (for garnish)
🥄 Kitchen Tools
- Large Soup Pot
- High Speed Blender
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Chef knife
- Cutting board
Cashew Cream: In a high speed blender, blend the cashews and water until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, sauté the onion, leeks, celery, and carrot, and mushrooms in 1/2 cup of water until tender. Add the red pepper flakes and cook briefly.
- Add the vegetable stock and potatoes, bringing them to a boil. Turn down the heat to a medium and cook the potatoes until tender.
- In a separate bowl, combine the water and flour and whisk until smooth. Add to the soup mixture.
- Add the Cashew Cream, lemon juice, nori pieces, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper. Simmer until the flavors are well blended and the consistency is creamy. stirring frequently.
- Garnish with smoked paprika.