We love to visit popular pizza and sandwich chain Mellow Mushroom because they have delicious hoagies. Our favorite is their marinated tempeh or tofu hoagie with plenty of avocados, tomatoes, and sprouts. The marinated tempeh/tofu is so delicious that you hardly need any condiments to enjoy this sandwich; it's already bursting with flavor. Here's our family's attempt to create a homemade version using our favorite teriyaki sauce.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25
- Knives & Cutting Board
- Medium Bowl
- Parchment Paper
- Baking Sheet
- 1/4 cup low-sodium tamari
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
Tofu and Vegetables:
- 1 (8-ounce) package tempeh, thinly sliced
- 4 whole wheat sub rolls, toasted
- 1 or 2 avocados, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- 2 cups sprouts
- Plant-based mayonnaise (optional)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all the marinade ingredients. Add the tempeh slices and toss to coat. Let them marinate for at least 2 hours. The longer they marinate, the better. I often let them marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the tempeh from the marinade and place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Fill each sub roll with some of the tempeh and top with avocados, tomato slices, sprouts, and mayonnaise (if using). Serve warm.