Pesto makes everything taste great, including a veggie burger! The olives, walnuts, and lentils create the perfect texture for this flavor packed burger. I’ve even made veggie balls with them for a unique addition to spaghetti and marinara.
I have made many different variations on the veggie burger, but I rarely write down the combinations. I have a tendency to use whatever vegetables are in season along with whatever else is available in my kitchen. Here are some helpful formula guidelines when building a great burger. Get creative! You'll find yourself coming up with some interesting combinations of flavors and textures.
Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 20 minutes
Yield 6 burgers
- ½ cup walnuts
- One 6-ounce can black olives
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 cup oats
- 1 1/2 cups cooked green lentils
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place the walnuts, olives, garlic, basil, and oats into a food processor and process until the ingredients are finely ground. Place into a large bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes until crispy around the edges.
- Top with avocados, tomatoes, and sprouts or lettuce.
✏️ Tips & Hints
- Most grocery stores do not carry canned green lentils. I recommend cooking the lentils (about ¾ cup dry lentils covered completely with water) on the stove top using a low-medium temperature while you are preparing the burgers. Lentils can take 25-30 minutes to fully cook and soften.