Zucchini Poppers make flavorful and healthy appetizers, and they are a great way way to use the zucchini from your summer garden. Zucchini doesn't have a lot of flavor alone, but absorb added flavors beautifully. These particular appetizers have a mild cheesy flavor that both kids and adults love. Eat them alone or in a sandwich, bun, wrap, sub, or sauce.
Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 15-18 minutes
Yield 4 servings
- 4 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 onion, shredded
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Grate the zucchini and squeeze out any excess water using a clean dishtowel.
- In a medium bowl, combine the zucchini and grated onion with the remaining ingredients and mix until well combined. I like to combine the mixture with my hands to incorporate everything evenly.
- Roll 1-2 tablespoons of the mixture into small cylinders and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden brown, crispy, and dry to the touch.
✏️ Tips & Hints
- You can shape these poppers into patties, balls, or even mini muffins. Freezing works great with this recipe so double the recipe and fill your freezer!