Snacking is a common habit that almost everybody does. Is it healthy? Yes! The trick is keeping our snacks healthy and plant-based. We often reach for things like chips, cookies, crackers, and even candy.
Try some of these tips to help you make smart food choices throughout the day:
- Avoid snacks that come out of a package. Focus on fresh produce and items that you have prepared ahead.
- Drink first. Sometimes we snack because we are thirsty, so make sure you are getting plenty of fluids and staying hydrated. I take a glass water bottle with me throughout the day because it not only reminds me to sip throughout the day, but it helps me keep track of how much I’m drinking as well. Some of us can go all day and never remember to take a sip.
- Prep ahead. Make your snacks ahead while you are preparing other meals. For example, if you are making roasted potatoes, make a few extra for your afternoon snack the next day. If you’re making hummus or guacamole, put some in small snack sized containers along with a bag of pre-cut veggies for the next day’s snacks. Whenever you are chopping veggies or fruit, chop a few extra and portion them out for snacks. Make bigger salads and enjoy the extra for a snack as well.
- Place a fruit basket on your office desk. We often think these baskets are made for our kitchens and homes when in fact a fruit basket is better suited for the office. You could be setting the perfect example for others in the workplace too.
- Try not to let yourself become ravenously hungry or shall I say “hangry”. When we reach that point of hunger, we tend to grab anything which often means snacking on empty calories loaded with salts, sugars, and oils.
Here are a few PlantPure dips and spreads to pair with cut veggies, and some other snack ideas to get you started!
With thirty entrees to choose from, PlantPure meals are the most convenient, healthy and inexpensive delivered foods available on-line! Our meals have no added oils and are priced lower than most fast foods. Order today at: PlantPureNation.com/collections/Foods