Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30-40 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 2 large russet potatoes, sliced into wedges
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup ketchup (optional)
Quinoa Pesto Burgers
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup water
- ½ cup walnuts (or sunflower seeds)
- 1 cup oats
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1-15 ounce can garbanzo beans
- One 6-ounce can black olives
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 6 whole wheat buns or sandwich rounds
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 4-6 romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
🥄 Kitchen Tools
- Medium and large mixing bowls
- 2 large baking sheets
- Parchment paper or silicone mat
- Food Processor
- Large spoons and forks
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Chef knife
- Cutting board
👩🍳Baked Fries Instructions
- Oven Instructions: Preheat oven to 425°. Do not place the potatoes into the oven until the oven temperature has been reached.
- Wash and cut each potato into 8 equal wedges. You can choose any style cut you prefer, but the thicker the cut, the longer the baking time.
- Optional Step: Place the potatoes into very cold water for at least 30 minutes, rinse, and pat dry. This will help draw out moisture and starch. You can definitely skip this step but you might get puffy bubbly fries which some people actually prefer.
- Place the potatoes into a zip lock baggie or covered bowl with the remaining ingredients and shake to thoroughly coat. You can be creative with this step, adding any spice blend you prefer.
- Evenly spread the potatoes onto a silicone mat or parchment lined baking sheet being careful not to overlap the potatoes. If you overlap the fries, they will steam and become moist, not achieving a crisp crunchy texture. Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning halfway through the cooking process. Bake until golden brown and crispy.
Air Fryer Instructions: Preheat air fryer to 375°F. Place the potatoes in the basket in an even layer without overlapping or crowding. Cook the potatoes 12-15 minutes, turning halfway until crisp.
- Serve with your favorite ketchup or condiment.
👩🍳 Burger Instructions
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Rinse and place the quinoa and water in a small pot over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until quinoa is tender. Set aside.
- Place the walnuts and oats in a food processor and process until finely ground. Add the garlic, basil, and spinach and continue to process until roughly chopped. Add the garbanzo beans and olives and pulse 6-8 times until the beans are very roughly chopped.
- Place the mixture from the processor into a medium sized mixing bowl and add nutritional yeast flakes, lemon juice, salt, and cooked quinoa. Mix until fully combined.
- Form the mixture into 6 even patties and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until crispy around the edges.
- Place the burgers in a bun and top with avocados, tomatoes, and sprouts or lettuce.
✏️Tips & Tricks
- These cooked burgers freeze beautifully and are great to have on hand for lunch boxes or quick dinners!